Teeth whitening is an easy, affordable way to improve the appearance of your smile. Bright, white teeth convey health and vitality, helping you make a great impression in social and professional interactions. If your teeth have become discolored over time, our cosmetic dentists can help you restore a bright, dazzling smile.
You can find out more about the teeth whitening solutions we offer by speaking with Dr. Dolfus in person. Please call 610-642-7024 today to schedule an appointment. We serve patients in Ardmore, Bryn Mawr and throughout the Philadelphia area.
Causes of Teeth Discoloration and Staining
It’s common for your teeth to experience some degree of staining or discoloration over time. This may be due to one or more of the following factors:
- Consumption of coffee, tea, red wine, chocolate, and other foods and beverages which act as staining agents
- Aging process
- Excessive plaque accumulation
- Dental trauma
In addition, the consumption of certain medications such as tetracyclines may cause tooth discoloration. These chemical stains are different in nature from stains caused by the factors listed above. In many instances, chemically stained teeth don’t respond well to teeth whitening treatments. In these situations, Dr. Dolfus may recommend porcelain veneers to achieve your whitening goals.
Professional Teeth Whitening vs. Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening
With so many over-the-counter teeth whitening options available, it may be tempting to try these solutions before opting for professional-grade teeth whitening treatments. While these over-the-counter treatments are often less expensive, you will get what you pay for. The results achieved from professional-grade teeth whitening are vastly superior.
There are several reasons why you should have your teeth whitening procedure performed by our cosmetic dentists:
- Professional-grade whitening products use stronger bleaching gels than over-the-counter options, allowing them to deliver significantly more effective results
- Our cosmetic dentists will use trays that are custom-molded to the dimensions of your mouth, allowing for a much more consistent result than can be achieved with the generic trays used by over-the-counter options
- The customized whitening trays used with professional-grade systems ensure that the bleaching gel won’t come into contact with your gums, reducing the risk of sensitivity
- Dr. Dolfus will supervise the entire teeth whitening process, ensuring it is performed properly and achieves the best possible outcome
Teeth Whitening Options We Offer
At the Office of Doctor Bellisario, we offer two different teeth whitening options:
- KöR teeth whitening
- Zoom! Teeth whitening
Dr. Dolfus will recommend the right solution to address your unique needs and goals.
KöR Teeth Whitening System
Many traditional teeth whitening treatments involve the application of a bleaching gel which is activated using a special light. It’s a successful approach, but it can increase sensitivity while leaving some deep stains untouched.
KöR works differently. First, Dr. Dolfus will take a mold of your teeth. This allows him to custom design a set of trays that snugly and comfortably fit your mouth. Once these trays are complete, we give them to you to take home. The gel is sealed inside the trays by the tight fit of the custom-designed materials. You wear these trays every night for approximately two weeks while you sleep.
KöR presents several advantages over other teeth whitening systems, including:
- The ability to remove deep chemical stains, such as those related to tetracycline use
- A deeper, more dramatic whitening
- No bleaching or heating light required
- Less sensitivity related to the whitening
- Permanent results
- No need to fear staining drinks such as coffee, tea or soda
Zoom! Teeth Whitening System
Zoom! is one of the most powerful professional teeth whitening systems available today, capable of whitening your teeth up to eight shades in a single treatment. Dr. Dolfus will cover your gums and lips to protect them before carefully applying the whitening gel to your teeth. In three 15-minute segments, your teeth will be exposed to a lamp that is designed to activate the hydrogen peroxide in the whitening gel. As the peroxide starts to break down, oxygen will seep into the enamel and dentin layers of your teeth, bleaching away the stains there.
After your treatment, you will be given a touch-up whitening kit, including trays and a take-home version of the Zoom! whitening gel, to help you maintain your results. However, one of the best and simplest things you can do to make your new smile last is to brush and floss daily. Good dental hygiene will go a long way toward keeping your smile bright and beautiful.
You’ll experience a variety of benefits from the Zoom! teeth whitening system:
- Unlike many teeth whitening treatments that take weeks to whiten your teeth a few shades, Zoom! can brighten your smile in just 45 minutes
- Zoom! can whiten your teeth up to eight shades brighter
- The Zoom! system is designed to keep your smile looking brilliant over a long period of time
Contact our Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentists
Please contact the Office of Doctor Bellisario using the form on this page or call 610-642-7024 today to schedule an appointment. We serve patients in Ardmore, Bryn Mawr and throughout the Philadelphia area.