If you’ve been hesitant to undergo orthodontic treatment due to the hassles associated with traditional metal braces, you are not alone. Many people go through life with crooked teeth out of a desire to avoid having painful, unsightly metal brackets and wires on their teeth. Unfortunately, this prevents you from feeling confident about your smile, and it also increases your risk of oral health issues commonly associated with a poorly aligned bite, such as TMJ.
Fortunately, you can achieve a straight, beautiful smile without traditional braces. Dr. Bellisario offers Invisalign for patients who prefer a more comfortable and discreet orthodontic treatment option.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable plastic aligners to gradually shift your teeth to their desired position. Dr. Bellisario uses 3D digital imaging technology to provide the Invisalign lab with the detailed information necessary to craft a series of customized aligners that will address your unique orthodontic issues.
Each aligner is worn for approximately two weeks before you move onto the next aligner in the series. In general, Invisalign treatment takes approximately 12-18 months to complete. The exact time will depend on the type and severity of your orthodontic issues.
While you can remove your Invisalign aligners for eating and brushing your teeth, it’s important to wear them at all other times, day and night. For best results, your aligners must be worn 20-22 hours a day.
What Can Invisalign Correct?
Invisalign is an effective way to treat most mild to moderate bite alignment issues, including:
- Unevenly spaced teeth
- Crowded teeth
In general, Invisalign isn’t recommended for severe orthodontic issues. In these situations, you may achieve better results with braces.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign has become increasingly popular in recent years due to the many benefits this treatment provides. These include:
- Improved comfort – The Invisalign aligners are made of smooth plastic that is customized to the unique contours of your mouth. This eliminates the irritation experienced by the sharp metal wires and brackets used with braces. In addition, you won’t need to undergo the painful tightening sessions that occur every few weeks when you have braces.
- Discreet – Your clear plastic aligners are barely detectable by others. This provides a much more discreet treatment option than braces.
- Eliminates dietary restrictions – You can take your aligners out when you eat, enabling you to eat all of your favorite foods without restriction.
- Improved oral hygiene – Removing your aligners when you brush and floss allows you to maintain better daily oral hygiene than can be accomplished when you have to brush and floss around metal braces.
- Shorter treatment duration – In most instances, Invisalign treatment can be completed in a shorter period of time than braces.
- Fewer dental visits – There aren’t any metal brackets and wires which require tightening. This means you’ll be able to visit Dr. Bellisario less frequently during your treatment.
Contact our Ardmore Dentist
Please contact Dr. Bellisario using the form on this page or call 610-642-7024 today to schedule your Invisalign consultation. We serve patients in Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Newtown Square and the surrounding areas of Pennsylvania.